This is the first time I have a potluck party. I think it's super fun. Thinking of what to cook, how to cook and especially if you haven't really cook much before like me. So of course since we are all 'beginners' we went for something simple - meringue creams, brownies and lychee jellies!!
I went shopping for the ingredients with Michelle on Tuesday. It was great experience trying to buy everything we need within the S$20 budget they gave us. Initially we have cheesecake on the list too but it exceeded the budget so we didn't get to make that. But 3 dishes are good enough. So proud of us! We manage to cook all 3 and it was less than the budget! Haha great achievement.
We started cooking on Wednesday night itself because we might not have enough time to do all of them on Thursday. Started to cook around 11pm coz we planned to complete all our tutorials and study for my test. So at 11pm, we went to the kitchen and started mixing everything. Hehe I started off with the jellies first mixing the jelly powder and cutting the lychee to be place in the trays.
Since we seldom bakes, separating egg white from the egg yolk was something new to us - especially for me, it's a total new experience. But I was successful for 3/4 of them. Not bad huh?:P Michelle then beats the egg white together with sugar (well this was our own formula coz the instructions in the recipe said use a pinch of salt but since we don't have salt, we use sugar).
And so we continue cooking the jellies and beating the egg white till it was white and thick. We didn't have anything to weigh the amount of sugar to add to the egg white so it was just an estimation and of course estimations are bound to errors so it was a bit sweet:P
Ha-ha I guess the worse thing was that our oven wasn't working!! Initially we were trying to look all around to see if we can find the power supply to it but it was to no avail. Michelle messaged her friends so finally we went over to Block 10 to bake the Meringue Creams. It was done at about 3.30am when we finally went to bed.
On Thursday after my tutorials at Business, I came back and contacted Xu Qing, the level 6 clusterleader to start our second cooking session - baking brownies. It was much easier than I thought and we finish mixing within 30minutes. Haha we are getting better at baking.
At 8.45pm. We started to bring down all the dishes to the R5 entrance.
Lychee Jellies (2 trays)
Brownies (1 tray)
Meringue Creams (1 tray)
So here are all of them!
And lastly - all the 'bakers' (Michelle was having CCA so was not in the photo)
Friends are the most important part of your life. Treasure the tears, treasure the laughter, but most importantly, treasure the memories. - Dave Brenner







0 comments:
Post a Comment